Monday 13 May 2013

Germans do festivals like no other

One of the things that I've discovered is amazing about Germany is the festivals on offer. I should have known this was the case before moving here - two of my favourite experiences of the country before becoming a more permanent resident were at Oktoberfest (which I wrote about here for the Independent). And I don't even drink beer. When it comes to having a great day or night, or weekend or week out, Germans just seem to know how to do it, providing the best costumes, food, drink and company to keep you entertained from start to finish.

My Oktoberfest experiences have been nothing but positive, and in fact it was there that I met the boy (who at the time spoke no English... though he has of course become much better at it now :). While we didn't spend much time in the beer halls the first time around, the whole of Munich seemed to come alive, and my introduction to the German nightlife was really the beginning of my love story with the country. The second time around, there was much more time spent in the beer halls, and on the last day I somehow managed to dance on the tables for around 8 hours straight completely sober. Suffice to say, I know I will attend Oktoberfest every year I can from now on, and plans are already in motion for 2013.


Now, since becoming a Frankfurt-ite, I've very quickly filled my schedule with some of Germany's finest festivals to keep me busy. The first was kind of cheating, as it wasn't actually in the country, but a simple four hour train trip to Amsterdam for Queens Day. After living in London, where every trip to the airport seemed an expensive mission at an ungodly hour, to take 20 minutes to get to the station, jump on a train, and be in Amsterdam without even showing my passport was incredible. And it was definitely a trip I won't forget; while the street parties and festival atmosphere were crazy, one of the things I liked the most about this festival was the relaxed atmosphere; I had space around me to enjoy it all, unlike in previous experiences of national days like Bastille Day in Paris or Independence Day in New York. When we had enough of checking out the boats and walking/dancing around town we could relax in the park and soak in the sun. I've never quite seen an entire city shut down for the day like Amsterdam did; I would be keen to try other cities around Holland in the future for this holiday as apparently they are just as good.


Just a week later, as I prepared for a trip to Magdeburg, I went out with the boy down the street to the internet cafe to print my train ticket. Suddenly he remembered that there was a museum festival in Frankfurt that night, and a quick 10 minute walk into the centre of the city brought market stalls, a light and water show and buses taking people to all of Frankfurt's museums for free. And apparently you could drink at them too?! It was definitely an unexpected and different night out, and resulted in me purchasing my first German book - 'Mein Kunterbuntes Wörterbuch' - luckily it has pictures for every word :).

The next day bright and early, I took a four hour train to Magdeburg to visit a friend studying there and attend the Holi festival of colours. This festival has been travelling around Germany, and has been in Frankfurt, though in Magdeburg I was able to experience it right in the centre of the city, with just a few thousand other people. Basically the concept involves throwing packets of colourful powder around every hour. I got a lot in my eyes and lungs, but other than that it was great - and worked up the courage to ask for my drink in German at the bar, only to be asked by the woman if I was over 18 (apparently when I speak German I sound like a child on account of the incorrect grammar and slowness lol). Overall, a great party, and I would definitely go again!


Now in the next two weeks we're planning to head to the 'Neonsplash' in Cologne - the city is a 2 hour train ride from me, and is a beautiful place where I spent New Years Eve in 2011-12. It's really quaint, and one of the main attractions is a beautiful bridge where people can 'lock their love' with padlocks on the sides, and throw the keys in the water for good luck. But back to the splashing of neons - this is more of a party than a festival - and rather than throwing powder, you throw paint. I've always wanted to go to a paint throwing night, perhaps because I like the idea of doing something my mum always told me I wasn't allowed to do as a child. The five year old me would be proud of me right now! (must revisit the notion of growing up in Germany AFTER this party)

Then just a week after this is the Big City Beats Festival in Frankfurt, with a whole day of DJs including the legendary David Guetta and Tiesto. Our 'party picknick' ticket apparently includes a day on the grass and 12 hours of music... suffice to say I'm pretty excited.

Of course, the pinnicle of this year's festivals for me will be Glastonbury, which is just a 50 euro flight to London and will give me a chance to see all my lovely UK friends again. And then a long weekend at the 9-day-long Sziget festival in Budapest in August should round off an especially European experience of music. But I have a feeling a lot more of these German festivals where we're throwing things, enjoying picnics, drinking at museums or doing something else that will make for an enjoyable day/night out are going to be taking place over the summer. x

No comments:

Post a Comment